Tuesday, May 17, 2005

Polish People in Paducah

I was at the local Wal Mart today,
(swearing I would shop elsewhere as soon as I learn what my other options are)
when I kept seeing signs reminding me to visit the new Polish Center located at the front of the building.

Hmm. I never realized how many Polish people lived in Paducah.

Mexicans are well represented, and the Penecostals around here seem like they're from another country...
but I haven't met any people from the Polish decent yet. Maybe I just didn't notice.

Gosh. There's another sign welcoming me to the center.
Friendly bunch, those Pollacks.

And yet another!
Man, apparently there is a whole part of Paducah I never knew about.

I'm amazed there are so many Polish transplants that they need their own center at the Super Wal Mart.
Oh, I'll bet there are some awesome restaurants.
Alright! Pork Peddler is wearing me out.

I think I will check out this new Polish center,
after I buy this cowboy hat....
and curtain rod...
and card table...
and bag of M&MS.

"Z'at all fer ya taday, hunny?" Says the strangely attractive 40 something bleach blonde mullet-styled check-out lady.
"Yes, thank you.....by the way...what are all these signs about the Polish Center?" I inquire.
"What hunny? I'm not sure I'm followin' ya. What Polish Center?"
I point to a sign pasted up right beside the register. "This center. Are there really that many Polish people in Paducah?"
She peeks up over her gold frame reading glasses and cracks a wicked smile.

I blink.

I'm blank.


"Hunnnnny, that says Polish Center, as in gittin' yer nails done. You know, manis and pedis. Paw-lish, hunny...not Po-lish."
She is absolutely blown away by my stupidity and lack of proper nail grooming.

I die laughing and she joins in.
We laugh until we have tears in our eyes.

"Okay, well, that'll do it for now..." I tip my new cowboy hat and give her a wink.
She gives me a wink back.
"Come back real soon, honey..."

Maybe I will go back at least once more.

1 Comments:

Blogger Lori-Lyn said...

Fabulous. In your defense, when have you ever heard of a Polish (pawlish) Center? Never.

Wednesday, 18 May, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home

free hit counter
Free Hit Counter
View My Stats