Saturday, April 23, 2005

Handle with care, there's a log in there.

I am a sentimental sap of the worst kind.
I am particularly reminded of this each time we pack up and move to another household.

Last night I packed up a log.
Yes, you read that right.
A log.
As in, a piece of wood that used to be a branch.
On a tree.
In my grandparent's front yard.

Astonishingly, to most folks, it is a 30-something year old log that has been passed down to me.
It used to sit on a shelf in my grandfather's study and now it is mine.
I keep it displayed next to my grandmother's pretty tea cups.

I suppose it would be safe to say, I am cut from the same sentimental cloth that he was fashioned from.
After all, it was he that cut the branch off the tree and made it into a log 30 something years ago, to be reminded of a moment in time.
And it is I that can cradle a log and weep.

Why the weeping? Because I'm lucky.
Why the log? Because I uttered my first word, "bird", whilst sitting upon the said branch.
Which is now a log.
In bubble wrap.
In a box.
Cherished deeply.
By a lucky and sentimental girl.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Are you familiar with the Log Lady from David Lynch's Twin Peaks?

From Seth

Sunday, 24 April, 2005  
Blogger anessa arehart said...

I have never heard of her until tonight, but I did find this: log lady link.
Pretty wild, I watched the show a little bit, but I don't remember her.

Thank for enlightening me to this curious lady.

Sunday, 24 April, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Little Elvis, I am working on "coming out" with my first blog. I'm living with it and contemplating it, blah, blah, blah. Anyway- one of my posts is about my inability to rid my home of things i've had for years and this post reminds me of that entry. When I get ready to present to the world, I'll send you the link. Good luck on the move~
mlw

Monday, 25 April, 2005  
Blogger anessa arehart said...

Thanks Darlin'

I am looking forward to it! I have viewed pretty much all of your flickr photos....y'all just can't seem to have any fun down in Nash Vegas, can ya?

As of Thursday I will be living awfully close to you...do I smell a road trip?
I want to come meet your friends!

Monday, 25 April, 2005  
Blogger Mick Jeffries said...

that is a sweet story!

thanks for looking at my blog!

mick

ps: I'll look at eddie's art, too

Friday, 29 April, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Anessa, this story made me cry. Every story about your Grandad makes me cry! I can't believe I've never heard about this log before.

So sweet.

I hope you're doing well. Hang in there. I love you!

Wednesday, 11 May, 2005  
Blogger anessa arehart said...

Thanks, Michelle.

Yeah...you're kinda sentimental, too, eh?
Thanks for reading...and commmenting.

Miss you...kiss the girls for me.
PS: Saw David Rader at the track on Oaks Day!
What a cutie.

Thursday, 12 May, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, we need to find him a woman! Any ideas? I'm supposed to see him memorial weekend. We're getting together at the farm one last time before Aunt Mary sells it...it's going to be so sad. It makes me cry just thinking about it.

Monday, 16 May, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home

free hit counter
Free Hit Counter
View My Stats