Thursday, January 05, 2006

Who is Mark??

Some of you readers may only know me as the husband to that wonderful little artsy girl with dreads who makes you smile and warms your heart. From the blogs written you may not have a clear picture of who I am.
So as we say in Paducah- “Ima gonna tell ya.”

I am 35, soon to be 36. I am a husband of 12 years to a beautiful, funny and smart woman. I was born in Melber, KY in a house with a detached bathroom (an outhouse). We moved to the big city of Paducah, KY at age 4. I made my first sales call at 7 when I sold flower pots door to door for Cub Scouts and have been a salesman of some sorts ever since (and I’ve been wearing suits since the age of 3). My first dog was Ginger, an Irish Setter, and I loved her dearly. My parents divorced when I was 10, both remarried when I was 11 and moved to Louisville when I was 14. I have lived in Kentucky, Tennessee, Indiana and Maryland.

I was an only child, but have 3 step-brothers. I was a rebellious youngster and skateboard punk. I am 6’3” tall and I am bald. My mom passed away when I was 29. I want to start sailing, but never seem to have the time. I am goal oriented, but my goals change frequently. I am, and have always been, theatrical. I played baseball and was a catcher from kindergarten to the 12th grade.

I love to shop. I love music of all kinds and will sing karaoke unprovoked. I have been known to play the trombone shirtless. I was an art major in college and I have a Masters Degree in Expressive Therapy, though I am not an artist or a therapist. I love station wagons. I like to wear bow ties. My wife does not allow me to drink bourbon anymore. I am sentimental and will easily shed a tear. I am a gadget freak. I start home projects, but never finish them. I am not afraid to wear women’s clothing. I cannot tell a joke very well, but can tell funny stories about myself and find humor in my own self-deprecation. I love the beach. I wear Birkenstocks for the arch support. I always have good intentions.

I idolized Steve Martin as a youngster, dressed in a white suit, wore an arrow through my head, memorized his albums, performed them live and made a tape of myself doing his stand up entitled “Mark Martin”. I carried a brief case when I was 8 with my “Mark Martin” tape, Steve’s book Cruel Shoes , baseball cards, my arrow through the head, and a tape recorder. And convinced my mother to take me to see the movie “The Jerk” when I was 9 (it was rated R).

I drink Diet Dr. Pepper just for the taste of it. I am a lover and a fighter. Although I no longer smoke cigarettes, I am a nicotine addict and have been vigorously chewing nicotine gum now for 3 years. I love small parties of close friends, and love to meet new people.

So that being said, I hope you can now see a small glimpse of who I am.
Let’s get this party started.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very nice to meet you! :) We are Steve Martin fans at my house, too.

Thursday, 05 January, 2006  
Blogger JMarFar said...

Thanks Jill, nice to meet you as well and thanks for the Holiday Card.

Thursday, 05 January, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm not sure I would have admitted to the women's clothing. Otherwise, you sound pretty normal. Of course, normal is relative when one knows your father in law.

Mark
From Lexington

Friday, 06 January, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello J. Mark Farmer,
I thought I knew you well but after reading your introduction I have a whole new perspective on the real J. Mark.

Out:
"Keeper of Gene"

Friday, 06 January, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't forget your enthusiasm for raising taxes in the city. You "Wild and Crazy Guy!"
Hope you're doing well. Talk with you later! Loved your entry!

Donna Maria

Sunday, 15 January, 2006  
Blogger MOW said...

Oh Lord.

You know that you are entitled to your opinion and that we respect it.

Please don't let a disagreement over taxes keep us from getting together for drinks. :( :(

BTW, I think its freakin' awesome that you (a) loved Steve Martin and "The Jerk" from an early age, and (b) that you carried a briefcase at an early age. If / when we have a son and I give him his first briefcase, and he gripes about it, I'm sending him to you to tell him it's okay.

Wednesday, 18 January, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home

free hit counter
Free Hit Counter
View My Stats