Thursday, May 26, 2005

Iced Tea and Orange Jumpsuits

Wow, I had an awesome dream last night!

I dreamed I was roller skating all over the place in some city.
Not my city, but some city.

Strangely, for some reason, I seem to have my dreams take place around and about Rupp Arena and Mill Street in downtown Lexington...I think it's the steep hills, general lack of traffic, mix of pretty homes and industrial sites that make it a good back drop...
Anyhoo, I digress.

My awesome dream was simple.
Me on roller skates.
All night long.

Yes, all night long.

And I was really, really good.

Back skate? No problem.
Speed skate? Kid stuff.
Multiple rotations with feet together a la Dorothy Hamill?
C'mon now. I can skate!

So you get the point.
I was quite talented,
and fast,
and happy,
and free.

At one point I was skating through the halls of my high school.
(But I wasn't screaming at the top of my lungs,
like John Mayer.)


At another point I was skating in a large concrete park with fountains,
(UK maybe?)
showing my fancy footwork off,
whizzing past dozens of punk rockers
and very unattractive drag queens.

One frumpy, slumpy cross-dresser in a black skirt, pink sheer top and large-brimmed, pink
Derbyesque hat
kept announcing, with a deep southern Georgia accent,
"I sho' would like myself a tall glass o' iced tea, 'bout now."

Since I was skating around the fountain for about 30 minutes, I got the chance to hear him say that more than a few times.
And around the fountain we go again....and, let me guess...."You'd like a glass of iced tea about now, wouldn't ya?"

Mandy and Lori are always making lists of songs they like, or don't like, or songs that make them feel wierd.
I can never access my brain's music directory completely enough to make any lists that I feel truly reflect my inner workings.

Luckily, though, because of last night's dream, I now have on of my very favorite Dire Straits songs stuck in my head.

Roller Girl....
Technically, it's titled "Skateaway", but no one ever knows what I'm talking about when I call it that.
You know, "she's takin' chances" and
"roller girl, don't worry, D. J. plays the movies, all night long.......all night long."

I think , in a way, I was living out a video for this song.
How wonderful is that?

I must mention that night before last I dreamed I was going to prison for 3 years for drinking a Miller Lite bottle in a handicapped parking space from my car. You know, open container law and no handicap pass= 3 years in the pokey.
So this cop arrested me and the next thing I knew, I was being handed my orange jumpsuit by the baliff in the court room.
I was hysterical. I kept sobbing, "You have got to be kidding me!"

Not a good dream.

I like roller skating better.
Yeah, a lot better.

1 Comments:

Blogger anessa arehart said...

Actually, Mark and I were thinking about going to the roller rink this weekend.
It's just down the street and Mark used to skate there when he was a kid. He used to make out with girls on the upholstered mushroom shaped seating pods.

Friday, 27 May, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home

free hit counter
Free Hit Counter
View My Stats