Wednesday, March 02, 2005

PUH-at!

So there we were. Trying not to look at each other.
Trying not to act like something was weird between us.
For a moment there was a long lull in the conversation among our friends.
Unusual. It must be 20 after, I thought to myself.
My heart leapt into my throat when the moderate silence continued... I should say something.
This is my chance to mend fences. Now, while everyone is laughing. Something lighthearted.
Something not-stupid.
"Um, so."
The eyes that were wandering around the room quickly landed straight on me.
Eyes that were just waiting for an opportunity to stare me down.
"Yes?"
"Um, so. Where have you been lately?"
A cool reply followed my shallow question,
"Plenty of places."

A tall man in his late 40's forced his way though the crowd and paused right between us.
I was relieved at the temporary physical separation, then he moved on.
Like thick ooze the crowd quickly regained it former shape, forcing us back together again. This time more closely.

I faked an akward smile and circled the straw in my glass.
I glanced at the clock on the wall.
When I looked back the eyes were elsewhere, but the ears were all mine.
They were listening with anticipation.
"I'm sorry I spilled the beans about you and Pat."
With lightening speed the eyes were back. "Excuse me? What did you say?"
"I said, " this time quite loudly, "I'm sorry I told everyone about you and Pat."
At a minimum, three deep in the crowd, in all directions, heard my announcement and began to giggle.
Their heads turned away, both embarrassed and amused.
"WHAT? I can't believe you!" Baffled and quite angered. " I'm mad that you took my parking space out front... You, you told people about PAT?"
The word Pat was said with such force it made my hair move.

Oh boy.
"Uh-huh. Yeah. Sorry about that."

"Wow, you really are something, aren't you?"
With a whip of the head and a click of the heels, the conversation ended.

While I stood marveling at my gift of confession, my friends oozed into the now obviously vacant space next to me and patted me on the back.

It was agreed by all that I really was something , but we weren't sure exactly what that would be.
Laughter trumped the conversation for a moment and I pledged to apologize next time we ran into each other.
Cocked eyebrows were the response to my proposal.

Maybe I'll just let this one slide.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

free hit counter
Free Hit Counter
View My Stats