Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Willie Talk

When I was a young man, around 7 or 8 years old, everywhere I went I carried with me a “special friend”, named Willie Talk. Coincidently, Anessa had a similar, but weirder childhood friend, Mortimor Snerd. This came up in conversation, as well as my fond memories of Willie, when I recently rediscovered him in a box while cleaning the basement.

As an only child, with imagination as my main playmate, Willie was hours of enjoyment. Devising skits, changing his clothes and having heart to heart conversations with Willie were regular occurrences. I was pretty good with throwing my voice and can still pull it off today when called to task. I even practiced like crazy trying to drink milk while he talked. I took him to parties, took him to grandmas and even slept with the little bugger. He was my friend.

All was great with my pal Willie until a little movie starring Anthony Hopkins called Magic hit the big screens. The previews alone were enough to scare the crap out of me. From that moment Willie was not seen as the lovable friend that I enjoyed watching TV and sharing time with, but as a scary, he may come to life at any moment and tell me to kill people doll.

I couldn’t throw him away, he meant too much to me. Heaven forbid we put him in the closet or worse, under the bed. Put him in a box or trunk and you could almost hear him breathing. I can’t remember what resolutions were achieved in storing/hiding Willie, but I soon forgot about him and my imagination of horror subsided.

That is until now….until the rediscovery.

Damn you “Magic”. You killed Willie Talk
Willie Talk

5 Comments:

Blogger Mags said...

I have never heard of "Magic" but I have always been deathly afraid of those things!! I wouldn't mind hearing you "throw your voice" sometime though! : )

Wednesday, 15 February, 2006  
Blogger JMarFar said...

If you are deathly afraid of them, do not watch Magic. It is super scary. Also, I am "throwing my voice" as I am typing this (and drinking a diet coke).

Wednesday, 15 February, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow - such a blast from my past. I had Willie Talk when I was about 8 or 9 and dreamed of being a professional ventriloquist !! I worked hard at learning to throw my voice, but I sucked at it. My lips moved and my voice came out in a high pitched shriek. My sisters all made fun of me, but I was determined. Then one day, I found Willie in my bedroom but he had been "beheaded," his head was in one part of the room and the body was on the other. Words can't describe the horror !! I launched a full scale investigation. All four of my sisters had motive and opportunity, yet it remains unsolved 30 plus years later !!! They silenced me ....... We could have had a bright future in showbiz !!!! Oh Willie Talk, how I miss you !!! :)

Friday, 01 December, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Mark,
I just, for the first time, checked out Willie Talk on Google.com and found your site. I was a therapist and pastor...retired now...and have a Christmas story ...all true..involving Willie about 30 years ago. If you still have this message board, I would be glad to send it to you. I also have a small, independant publishing company...and nearly published it as a picture book. But DeForest Press.com has other things to do.
My story is about a 7 year old boy who couldn't and wouldn't talk...sometimes called selective mutism. The story tells of this little Christmas gift...and involves Willie. I, too, used to do ventriloguism; that's how I fell onto the little "dummy".
My email is richarddeforest@yahoo.com...
Meanwhile, it was nice to see Willie so beautifully remembered. I, a few years ago, found one to keep for myself and my grandchildren.
Regards,
Richard DeForest Erickson
DeForest Press
Nowthen, Minnesota

Friday, 04 April, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi,
i never realised how popular Willie was.My dad had a Willie and gave him to my brother. i spent more time with him thou. it was like he was my own, the way i caired for him. he went missing in december and i nearly paniced. how could i be cairless enought to lose Willie? then my brother handed me a long bezar shaped package from under the christmas tree. then ther he was! my brother had hiden him umonst the other pacages till christmas! what a shock! and i had felt so releaved. i had not lost him after all!

Sunday, 25 January, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home

free hit counter
Free Hit Counter
View My Stats