Thursday, March 09, 2006

This Cannot Be Happening.

Ms. Cruella: My, what a lovely fur wrap you are wearing!

Miss Ingnoretta: Why, thank you! It is imported Beagle pup trimmed with Calico house cat. Isn't it lovely?

Ms. Cruella: Yes, darling.....it is simply to die for!

Miss Ignoretta: Ha ha, you are wickedly humorous--they did die for it! After all, it is much too challenging to wear them when they are squirming.

Both: Laughter....Muah, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha...


Would you believe this scenario is actually possible?
Well, hold on to your tom cat hat... It is not that far fetched of a conversation, really.

As if you need one more reason not to wear fur,
listen to this:
Apparently China has been labeling their exported fur incorrectly for some time now and have been successfully selling dog and cat fur to clothing manufacturers all over the world.

You know those fuzzy little ear muffs you saw at the Mall?
There's a decent chance that's Morris the cat.
Yes, Morris.

The fur trim on your hooded jacket?
Looks an awful lot like Spot?
Boy, I hate to break it to you.... It might be Spot.

I had heard a buzz about such things a few years ago when the little sleeping fur cats being sold at Kirkland's turned out to be made of real cat. People freaked and they were pulled from the shelves.
Since then I just kind of shut it out of my mind, tried not to think about such things and hoped someone would take care of the situation.
Um.... that didn't happen.
Actually, the Chinese dog and cat fur trade is quite well these days and in full operation.

You may be thinking, "Oh, come now...No way...It just can't be true. Anessa is surely exaggerating once again"
Sadly, that is not the case. I will exaggerate many things, but this is shocking enough on it's own.
It is beyond disturbing and I don't believe I could make it any more so even with a lot of effort.

This is just a glimpse of what I am talking about.
chinafurtrade
That is a fricking Golden Retriever, is it not? Holy Mother of God, bless that poor dog's soul.

Now is a good time to pause, get a tissue and then read this article. If you still can't believe what you are reading, there is also a video on that page. I should warn you, though, it is not for the faint of heart. It is painful to watch.
In fact, I have not been able to think of anything else since I watched it. Maybe it is because I love my animals so much...but it has been hard to shake.

Here is an address if you want to write a letter to the Chinese ambassador and tell him how you feel about this sad practice:
His Excellency Zhou Wenzhong
Ambassador of the People's Republic of China
Embassy of the People's Republic of China
2300 Connecticut Ave. N.W.
Washington, DC 20008
202-328-2574
202-328-2582 (fax)

I think the best thing though, is to simply not wear fur...it's even easier than writing a letter.

5 Comments:

Blogger Mags said...

I tried to click on the golden retriever...Is he Dead? I couldn't see him very well on my little screen...When I clicked it said I don't have access to this pic...anyway. I am contemplating reading the article, but I am so super sensitive and would probably have nightmares for days if I did...so for now, I am going to stay away.
The whole thing just disgusts me.

Friday, 10 March, 2006  
Blogger anessa arehart said...

You have to click on the link to get to a larger photo...it swiped it from their page and put it on my flickr. But since it is quite upsetting I made it private.
You can handle the article. Maybe just not the video.

Friday, 10 March, 2006  
Blogger The Dog of Freetown said...

What do you think about cathedrals?

Friday, 10 March, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I HONESTLY COULD KILL SOMEONE FOR THIS SHIT. ITS A GOOD THING THERE IS NOTHING LIKE THIS AROUND HERE, I WOULD BE THE BIGGEST ACTIVIST AND PEOPLE WOULD HATE ME!! IF MORE PEOPLE WOULD BECOME MORE INVOLVED IN STUFF LIKE THIS, MAYBE WE COULD PUT AT LEAST A DENT IN IT........ AND BY THE WAY, WHAT THE HELL DOES CATHEDRALS HAVE TO DO WITH THIS SUBJECT? NOT TO BE A BITCH OR ANYTHING.

Saturday, 11 March, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh god, Greg teases me because I'm a vegan that just can't watch that sort of stuff. I can only go on petakids.com and not even the "real" PETA. Once I did and watched a video about the monkey testing at Covance labs and I could not stop crying (sobbing?) for like, 45 minutes.

I just don't get the use of fur and why people think they have the right to kill something "lesser" to be FASHIONABLE!

Sunday, 12 March, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home

free hit counter
Free Hit Counter
View My Stats