Thursday, January 20, 2005

Crazy Sad

Did you catch the last 10 minutes of American Idol auditions Tuesday night?
If not; here's what went dow, in a basic sense.
There was this particular blonde girl, in a red shirt, that sang at the very end of the show. Her name is Mary Roach. I found her performance, and the commentary that followed, a wee bit upsetting because she was clearly... well......quite crazy.
Now, I'm not talking zany-crazy, or outrageously-funny-crazy. I'm talking about voices-crazy, detached-from-reality-crazy.
Sad-crazy. And please don't get me wrong. It is my belief that it is fine to have a crazy girl at any audition. Really, it is. However, when she wrapped up her very bizarre performance, Simon asked her, "Why on earth do you think you are a good singer?" She replied "Because my friends have told me I have an awesome voice."
Oh.
Oh no.
For some reason that's what really got me. Not the fact that the judges were making fun of her and she didn't know it. Not the fact that she was publicly humiliated by the producers of the show when they played the Psycho screech-screech-screech sound effect as she was walking away from the stage.
But that her friends told her she was great.
Her friends told her she was great.
Her friends told her she was great.
Good grief.
I have worried about what happened to her when she left that building for the past two days. Poor, sad, blonde, tone-deaf, crazy Mary in a red shirt... I wished tonight, on a star and a eyelash, for a new bunch of folks for you to call friends.

2 Comments:

Blogger Lori-Lyn said...

That's so incredibly sad.

Friday, 21 January, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We felt the same way, Anessa, minus the wishing on stars and eyelashes. Some of these auditions cross the line from talentless to tragic.
Mike
www.10000birds.com

Monday, 24 January, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home

free hit counter
Free Hit Counter
View My Stats