Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Rest in Peace


Rothko, originally uploaded by Anessa.

**Rothko, my sweet old boy...
You will be very missed.**


Yesterday was a heartbreaking day for our household.
Our cat Rothko was put to sleep at 5:00 after suffering from kidney failure over the past several months.

We had been trying to give him IV's for the past 2 months without much success. He hated having to sit still for us and we hated poking him repeatedly. He eventually became so dehydrated and lost so much weight that he was only 6lbs. He normally weighed about 11 lbs. He was skin and bones.
So fragile. It was pitiful.
The last two days of his life he completely quit eating, lost interest in drinking water and couldn't urinate even though he repeatedly tried. The vet said his kidneys had completely quit working and he was suffering.
Yet, through all his bad health and exhaustion, he still enjoyed getting scratched behind the ear. Which I was I was trying to do when we had him euthanized.

I never thought I would choose to put an animal to sleep, but with encouragement from our very kind-hearted vet, and a good hard reality check, I agreed to do it. It was quite peaceful overall. He did let out a loud meow when the needle of Valium was given, but within moments he was completely relaxed. I don't think he felt anything after that. If he did, I pray it was less painful than his recent existence.

I feel very sad and tearful and strange. I feel quite guilty for choosing to end his life,
but also relieved that he is no longer wasting away and feeling awful all the time.
I have cried a lot which seems to help. Today I put stones on his grave.

Rothko was between 2-5 years old when we adopted him. He lived with us 13 years. He was becoming a very old cat these days. 15-18 years is the best we can estimate. I hope his years with us were okay. We loved him very much, although he was the least social of our pets and many of you didn't even know he existed. He preferred being "behind the scenes", so we let him as best we could. I think we were a bit too animated in his opinion.
A nice, quiet spot in a sunny window were all he wanted. And treats. He liked those an awful lot, too.

Last night we buried him in the back yard. I placed him in his bed and snuggled him in a blanket, tucked in a few treats and a little note telling him he was a good cat and he was loved very much.
He now rests about 3 feet underground.
In the shade of a crepe myrtle tree.
I will miss my old boy and my heart is heavy.
Say a prayer that his next life is a good one.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Poor boy. I'm so glad I had the chance to bond with him a little bit the last couple weeks when we visited you guys. He's running and having a good time in kitty heaven. If there's anything you guys need, just let us know.

Wednesday, 16 May, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was so sorry to hear about this. I always had a soft spot for Rothko and always took it as a real honor when he'd come out and let me love on him. I know he will be missed terribly - but you made the right decision.
Carrick

Wednesday, 16 May, 2007  
Blogger lolliloobedoo said...

I'm so sorry. We had to do the same thing in December for our old cat Maisy. I know it's hard but Rothko's probably having a much better time now that he doesn't need those darn kidneys in working order.

Wednesday, 16 May, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh sweetie, I'm so sorry you lost your kitty. I know what you're going through. I had my dog CrackerJack put to sleep a few years back because he couldn't breathe anymore. It just about broke my heart but I know that it was the right thing to do, that I'd loved him wholeheartedly while he was here. It sounds like you loved Rothko like that. Please don't feel guilty - you only did what needed to be done. ~Terri

Thursday, 17 May, 2007  
Blogger megan stemm-wade said...

Just a random stranger passing by. So sorry you had to say goodbye to your friend. The right words are hard to find, but I wanted you to know that you're not alone.

Best,
Meg

Friday, 25 May, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry. I'm just now reading your blog entry about Rothko. When I used to house/kittysit for you in Paducah, I remember how introverted he was...until, of course, the wet food came into the equation! He and his brother Lou were definitely opposite in personality, but I loved them both equally. I'm so sorry.
He was a wonderful furry friend.

Tuesday, 04 December, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home

free hit counter
Free Hit Counter
View My Stats