Wednesday, July 13, 2005

Special Guest Star

I was debating on whether to mention this,
because I am afraid I'll jinx it,
but I have recently had two very interesting conversations with, none other than, the fabulous and famous Ms. Holly Woodlawn.....
and now she's coming to visit me in September!
Well, technically, she's coming to visit Paducah in September,
(
but that's so specific.)

She wants to meet and have dinner one night and I offered to drive her around LoTo and downtown Paducah, a little...
You know, show her the sights of our fair town.

Yes, all three of them...
which will take about 15 minutes.
***Note to self: Come up with something else to do while she is here.***

Yes, Holly, who came from Miami, F-L-A....
and hitchhiked her way across the U-S-A...
The one Lou Reed sings about,
the same wonderful drag queen who has walked on the wild side
has decided she wants to move.
Somewhere quiet.
Somewhere she can afford a cute little house....
Somewhere she can grow tomatoes...and bake apple pies....
and in her words, "just live".

I told her Paducah might be what she is looking for.

She learned about the Paducah Artist Relocation Program, through a friend, and fell in love with the idea right away.
She also loves the idea about the super affordable real estate...and the teeny tiny Paducah Airport that can whisk her away to parts unknown for occasional performances and special appearances.

How did I get hooked up with Holly?
You may be wondering.

Well, Mark was listening to Feast of Fools' podcast (he's a podcasting junkie and Fausto fan)
interview with Ms. Woodlawn about a week or so ago, when Fausto posed the question,
"Holly, what's next in your life?"
Holly replied, to their absolute disbelief,
"I'm thinking of moving to Paducah, Kentucky."

She attempted to explain why she thought Paducah might be nice...
but her interviewers weren't very convinced.
She didn't care....

I decided I should write her an e-mail through her web site's guest book and tell her she wasn't crazy. At least, I didn't think it was such a bad idea...
and to welcome her to Kentucky.

Shock of shocks...she e-mailed me back that night...and called me the next night.
We had a fun conversation. She is very sweet and endearing and dramatic.

She would like to eventually open a piano bar.
I told her I know the perfect spot...
attached to....
drumroll......
THE FREE HISTORIC THEATRE!

She was very excited......and even though she says she has no money, she knows people.
Charmingly, she is quite modest about it.
Either way, she said, "Honey, you just have to believe we can make things happen and we will!"

Well, holy crap. Isn't that what I always say?

So we dreamed up some really big ideas, right then and there.
She told me, as we were hanging up,
"I feel like Peter Pan and you are my little Tinkerbell".

Wow...I'm a Puerto Rican drag queen's Tinkerbell.
Could there be a better compliment?

Tonight I talked to her again...just for about 20 minutes.
She is bringing one of her dearest, life-long friends with her when she comes to visit.
Her friend Elda.
Elda Gentile.
Who is every bit as interesting as Holly.

I inquired, is Elda Gentile an artist?

HW: "How old are you, honey?"
Me: "Thirty-si....."
HW: (interrupting my answer) "Do you remember the New York Dolls?"
Me: "Yes...I do!"
HW: "Honey, Elda invented the Dolls...and she and Debbie Harry formed The Stilettos together. She's a woooooonderful artist."
Me: "Very cool, I can't wait to meet her."
HW: "We're going to have a great time, darling, just you wait!"

I can't help but think this is going to be a mighty fine visit.

4 Comments:

Blogger Lori-Lyn said...

Girl.
I have tears in my eyes.

Thursday, 14 July, 2005  
Blogger anessa arehart said...

kinda crazy, eh?

Thursday, 14 July, 2005  
Blogger anessa arehart said...

Mark seems to think I am getting a little to carried away and I'm going to turn this into a "Waiting for Guffman" sort of situation. If that happens...oh well...nothing lost...but all sorts of fun was gained.
Thanks for the kind words.. Did you get my message I left when we spent the night in Nashville?
Now I know you were visiting BG...but it would have been fun to have seen you. I'm so close now!

Friday, 15 July, 2005  
Blogger anessa arehart said...

Waiting for Guffman for those of you that haven't seen it...please do! So very funny.

Friday, 15 July, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home

free hit counter
Free Hit Counter
View My Stats